Archives - October 2011
October 29, 2011
DONATION AVAILABLE: an oil fired boiler with tankless water heater to give to a homeowner flood victim who could use it in their rebuilding/recovery effort. The boiler is 10 years old, (Owners just converted to natural gas.) It's a Weil-McClain, Model No. WTG0-5. The heating capacity is 175,000 BTU's. The installation and maintence manuals available too. CONTACT VOLUNTEER HEADQUARTERS ASAP: 258 Main St. Schoharie OR call, 390-8828.
October 29, 2011
Not everybody is willing to pull nails. Not everybody is an insulation dude. Or an electrical genius.
So, here's a unique way you can make a difference on Monday, Halloween.
Halloween is a big deal in Schoharie. It always has been. Kids come from the country (where they can't walk from house to house) and do their trick or treating in Schoharie. It is not unusual for houses to hand out 800 pieces of candy... WOW!
This year the kids are anxious. Where will they do their trick or treating? Click the link below to see how you can be a super good goblin on Halloween. And, thank you!
October 27, 2011
Thursday, 10/27th: LOTS OF NEWS...FOR THE UPCOMING WEEKEND AND ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -- Please continue to read, make note for yourselves and/or others in need --help us reach those not able to access this page:
(1) Saturday, Oct. 29th: the NYS Comptroller will be at the Parrot House from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. to assist people with unclaimed funds
(2) Volunteer Headquarters (258 Main St.) has as growing number of LOST AND FOUND items...it is worth everyone's time to stop in and inquire regarding these items that may surely be valuable and meaningful to their rightful owner.
(3) Donations available: two pianos and two wood stoves -- contact Volunteer Headquarters (258 Main St., 390-8828) with your interest
(4) See our RESOURCES pull-down tab for new and additional financial services available for flood victims: new today: NYSDERDA has special assistance to households affected by tropicals storms Irene and Lee --This is relative to replacement of heating systems, hot water systems and refriterator/freezer replacements. There is an income criteria for this form; see their informational letter and application under RESOURCES - EmPowerNY:NYSERDA Assistance
(5) Free Computer Equipment In partnership with the GE Elfun Computer Rehab Program, SVW is distributing free* computer equipment to those who have suffered a loss during the recent flooding, non-profit organizations, local government agencies, schools and volunteer organizations. To request computer equipment please print and complete a Computer Equipment Request Form and mail to the address on the form. *There is an $18.00 software license fee for each computer requested. This form is also available for downloading under our RESOURCES tab Computer Request-Schoharie Valley Watch.
(6) Please note Volunteer Headquarters new days/hours --as we transition into different work needs, Volunteeer Headquarters will be open Wed-Sat.: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.; Sun.:10:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. There will be limited coverage Mon & Tues -- we will continue to offer meals for residents and volunteers every day from 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Please keep encouraging your work group, church group, community organization, neighborhood friends and individuals -- to help us maintain important volunteer efforts in the SCHOHARIE RECOVERY area...as weather changes near, continued work is essential....
(7) The up-and-running Emergency Food Pantry/Distribution Site in Schoharie Presbyterian Church sanctuary is in great need of the following items: Microwavable meals in containers, such as hearty soups, ravioli, etc., Ready-to-eat foods-- no mixing or cooking or other ingredients required; Canned or dried fruit or pudding, preferably single servings; Paper products-- plates, cups, paper towels, etc.; Hot chocolate packets'; Oatmeal packets or individual boxes of cereals; Individual servings of juice; Graham crackers; Jelly. Because most residents have no, little, or limied cooking facilities (i.e., microwaves & toaster-ovens) donations of little use currently include Dried beans, Boxed macaroni and cheese and other pasta, Canned beans and other canned vegetables, and large sized cans of food. Right now, the pantry has an abundance of peanut butter. PLEASE NOTE that any and all contributions are sincerely appreciated!
(8) Another reminder that Monday, 10/31 is the deadline to apply for FEMA assistance.
HEARTFELT THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS VOLUNTEERD -- AND CONTINUES TO DO SO! Refer to our updated "NEEDS" list under our DONATE Tab.
October 26, 2011
A NEW Opportunity for assistance: the Realtors Relief Foundation is offering $1500 for mortgage or rent help. Downloadable application form under our 'Resources' tab. The application includes a phone number for inquiries. Funds are limited. APPLYY TODAY!
Reminder of a fund raiser in the Town of Wright/Gallupville: Sat., Nov. 5, at the historic 1872 Gallupville House, 6:00 p.m. meet President Lincoln; Civil War Bands @ 7:00.
See our DONATE tab for an updated 'NEEDS' list -- inclusive of small and larger items. Thanks for your continued support by providing Hope, Help, Recovery.
October 25, 2011
NINE WEEKS AFTER HURRICANE IRENE.....
As of 10/25/11, the Volunteer Headquarters, located at 258 Main St., Schoharie will observe the following schedule: Wednesday-Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Sundays, 10:30-5:00 p.m. Contact phone no.: 390-8828; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
SBA office has moved from the Jack Miller Tractor site TO: 103 Holiday Way, Schoharie (Holiday Inn Express roadway). SBA has applications and registration forms for FEMA. Registrations for FEMA assistance due to Hurricane Irene are DUE Monday, October 31st. Forms for assistance from Tropical Storm Lee are due November 4th. Information and forms are also available online: www.disasterassistance.gov OR via phone: .800.621.3362.
SCCAP's distribution site at the Cobleskill movie gallery will CLOSE Wednesday, October 26th. Their efforts will now turn to the annual collection of COATS FOR KIDS.
Thanksgiving - a community dinner is being planned in partnership with Equinox for the Schoharie area. This event is being coordinated by Village of Richmondville Mayor Kevin Neary. Contact the Village office for further information: 294.6681.
EMERGENCY FOOD PANTRY for Irene victims: now located in the Sanctuary of the Schoharie Presbyterian Church . [The clothing donation/distribution has ended.] Pantry schedule: Mon, Wed., Fri: 4:00-6:00 p.m. and Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun: 12:00 noon to 2:00 p.m.
At this time all clothing storage facilities are full and/or have closed. If you or others you know have clothing, we strongly suggest you donate those items to your usual community site. Thank you to all who have already contributed many useful items.
October 14, 2011
PRESS RELEASE BY NYS OEM, 10/12/11:To continue serving disaster survivors affected by Hurricane Irene in New York, a U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Loan Outreach Center (DLOC) will open Friday, October 14, at: the Holland Implement Building, 114 Fort Road, Schoharie, NY 12157. SBA representatives will provide homeowners, renters, business owners and nonprofit organizations with face-to-face service in answering questions about SBA’s low-interest disaster loans, completing loan applications and closing on SBA loans. The office will be closed Sat/Sun and reopen Mon-Fri, 8-5. See complete press release under 'RESOURCES' tab.
Schoharie County residents out of work due to Hurricane Irene may be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance. This program has different eligibility requirements than regular unemployment. Some requiements include self injury due to the disaster, transportation disruption, harm/damage to your place of employment, among others. To see the complete list of requirements and how to apply, see Disaster Unemployment Assistance under 'RESOURCES' tab.
REMINDER of FREE FLU SHOTS, courtesy of Price Chopper, at Headquarters location,
October 13, 2011
RESIDENTS AND VOLUNTEERS ALIKE: Be sure to keep current with information and forms on our RESOURCES tab. As additional, new services become available to residents, we post them for downloading. When it becomes available to us, information as well as forms are added for our Volunteers. In this way Volunteers can complete necessary forms prior to registering @ Headquarters. Though our needs continue to vary, our needs are constant. We have made tremendous progress; it would not be possible without our Volunteers.
October 11, 2011
What a wonderfully, productive weekend -- the weather was fantastic and our volunteers, as usual, were plentiful and work-ready. Thank you to all who made it. Likewise, we continue to ask your help in keeping the word alive on the continued need for volunteers and financial relief for home-owners and businesses as we work together to rebuild. Volunteer Headquarters is regularly opened Tues-Sat. 9:30-5:00; Sunday 10:30-5. Helpers are especially needed throughout the weekdays.
Pls. share this news w/those in need post Irene and returning to work: Free Corporate women's clothing available @ Wellington's Herbs & Spices, 649 Rickard Hill Rd. Schoharie: Wed-Sat, 10am-4pm and Sun 11:30am-4pm Sizes 4 thru plus; many designer pieces.
Attention homeowners having relatives, friends and co-workers helping you with demolition, debris removal, cleaning, restoring, etc.: Please email us the following information (email@example.com) as this will greatly help our communities for tax rates, federal assistance, etc.: Volunteer(s) Name, Address, Date of volunteer work and approximate hours. Please let's continue to work together in this area for everyone's benefit. Questions? 390-2811 or via email. Thank You!
Volunteer needed with TRUCK and muscle friends for pick-up of donated appliances, beds, furniture, larger items. PLEASE contact us!
We are in great need of SKILLED PROFESSIONALS who are willing to DONATE THEIR CRAFT SERVICES as homeowners dry out residences and begin to plan elecrical wiring, plumbing, installation of insulation, sheetrock, taping, etc. PLEASE CONSIDER donating your skilled services by sending us an email with your contact information and professional background. Thank You!
ROOMS OF HOPE: Fields of Grace Outreach Assistance Program is offering a disaster relief application entitling the qualified applicant with a voucher good for sheetrock, spackling, rock screws and spackling tape. This two-page application is under our "RESOURCES" pull-down tab. There are return dates for the application.
Additional, new RESOURCES: one page 'Qs and As' regarding Village of Schoharie, Codes requirements for electrical wiring, and volunteer Participant Liability Release Form making check-in at Headquarters easier for groups of volunteers.
October 06, 2011
Schoharie Valley Lodge #491 is collecting household items and clothing to assist with flood relief...Saturday, October 29th, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. will be a free distribution day @ 297 Main Street, Schoharie.
Updated locations and contact info for county offices (via the 10/5/11 Times-Journal): Auditor/Clerk,254-3612 ;Data Processing, 254-2610/3619; Treasurer, 254-3624/3622;-Transportation Bldg., SUNY Cob., ; County Clerk, 234-3413; Real Property -Cooperative Extension, So. Grand St. Cobleskill, ; DMV- Lancaster Development, 145 Podpadic Rd. Richmondville, 294-6528 or 9964; District Attorney, 234-7813;fax-234-2577, Mallery Law Office, Cob; Board of Elections,295-8388/8326- Badgley Bldg. Old Stone Fort, Schoharie; EMO/Safety, 296-8619; Fire Coordinator, 296-8606; Public Information Officer, 231-0383-MOSA, Cobleskill; Health Dept., 231-2335; Personnel, 296-8626- 125 Granite Dr., Cobleskill; Public Health Nursing, 23111-2013; Environmental, 231-2335; Early Intervention Pre-School Services, 231-1519;Home Care of Rochester (HCR), 764-8215; Human Needs call ctr: 296-8607; Highway-DPW, 295-8154, Schoharie; Mental Health 295-8336; Office for the Aging, 295-2001; Social Services, 295-8334; Veterans, 295-8360, no change; Youth, 295-2057, no change; CD Clinic, 295-2031- Annex, Schoharie Dunkin'Donuts; ; Old Stone Fort, no change, 295-7192; Planning/Economic Dev.-Rural Preservation, Mineral Spgs Rd.; Probation, 234-2550; Dispatch, 295-8114-Village of Cobleskill offices; Public Transportation, no change, 234-0952/0960; Sheriff, 255-3440; SUNY Cobleskill;Weights & Measures - out of truck.
450 new Sealy mattresses were delivered to Schnectady Salvation Army at Rotterdam Industrial Park, Rt. 7, Bld. 3 dock 21. You must apply for the mattresses by calling the Salvation Army at 346-0222
These worthy of repeating on the eve of a three-day holiday weekend:
October 02, 2011
Another place accepting donations of home furnishing and open to those in need of replacement furniture, small appliances, etc.: Richie Rich's Place, Rte. 7, Warnerville, NY Open 7 dys/week; 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. 234-0963
Volunteer Headquarters, Main St. Schoharie Needs added to on-going list: furniture oil (such as Murphy's), paper towers, toilet paper; for the volunteer lunch station: coffee, sugar packets & creamer.
Don't let the weather discourage the volunteer spirit in you....Volunteer Headquarters open Tuesday-Saturday, 9:30-6:00; Sunday 10:30-5:00
October 01, 2011
Any Resident of a county deemed a federal disaster area by FEMA, and experienced a vehicle loss of a result of Hurricane Irene, is eligible for an additional $500 bonus cash Details can be found at www.gokooky.com
FEMA Trailers are now available at the Cobleskill Fair Grounds. Those in need must go back through the FEMA application process by calling 800.621.3362 OR on line @ www.DA.gov Apply for Temporary housing.
Also at Cobleskill Fair Grounds, furniture, appliances and household items will be accepted for donation. Call Jim Collins to arrange for pick up of your donated items @ 858.0547. Arrangements for distribution/pick-up by those in need of these items will be posted at a later date.
Informational Public meeting on Catastrophic Clean-Up: Tuesday, Oct. 4, 6:00 p.m. @ the Schoharie Presbyterian Church Christian Ed. Bldg. -- Call 788.1810 w/questions
Guilderland Dry Cleaners will clean belongings of flood victims at a reduced price...456.3321 Ask for Pam
Free clothes, furniture and household goods available at the Fonda Fair Grounds, weekdays, 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. ...Until October 14th.